Thursday, March 18, 2010

What Just Happened?


 Why in certain movies are we shown things that the character then forgets or chooses to have erased from their memory?  Now don’t get me wrong.  In a movie like “Bourne Identity” where the entire movie is about remembering what he forgot, or “Eternal Sunshine” it works.  We are watching a story about something being so important that they have to remember it.  On the other hand a movie like “Men in Black” or “Sphere” where they voluntarily give up their memories, of everything we just watched, I don’t get what the purpose of the movie was, other than studios proving that they can waste our time and take our money.  The worst use of this has to go to “Superman Returns” where evidently he can erase memories by kissing?!  The way it is used amounts to little more than giving your main character and hero of the story a date rape drug… What? Why would you show me that?
Maybe I am just jealous that I too can’t forget what I just witnessed... or make out with Superman.

0 comments:

Post a Comment